Paleolithic (or paleo) diet helps to lose weight without feeling hungry and a minimum of stress for the body. Paleo diet is a trendy phenomenon, this weight management concept is considered to be one of the most popular methods for losing weight among models and celebrities, as well as athletes, fitness trainers and common people looking to build wiry body. Yes, Hollywood loves this diet and it’s not about yellow page-style rumors – Matthew McConaughey, Eva La Rue and Megan Fox at various periods of time have been vocal about their food choices. The essence and main features of the diet of hunters and gatherers of the Paleolithic period, provides tasty nourishing and effective weight loss capabilities, so let’s have a closer look at it. Despite the method’s trending in 2016, its core principles were formed around 40 years ago by a gastroenterologist named Walter Voegtlin, while the Paleo Diet book written by professor L. Cordain was released in 2002.
The essence and advantages of the Stone Age diet
The main feature of paleo diet is that it does not require the use of certain standards and allows you to eat as much as you want in terms of calories. All the products and dishes that are included in the diet, reminiscent of human nutrition products during the Paleolithic period.
With this method, you can learn to control what you eat and cook very tasty, sipid dishes from natural products. It is noteworthy that this program doesn’t limit the consumption of mineral fats and carbohydrates, in contrast to a majority of other dietary techniques.
Even after the cessation of diet there is no rapid weight gain happening, because the diet is energy-dense itself. However, choosing a paleo diet, you must weigh its advantages and disadvantages, and ideally consult a nutritionist to check the possible contraindications.
This technique has a good number of advantages, such as:
- It contributes to the normalization of blood sugar levels, which in turn, leads to partial elimination of sudden attacks of hunger and fatigue, as well as reductions in the risk of developing diabetes.
- It reduces bad cholesterol level in blood, contributing to the prevention of heart diseases due to the unsaturated fat contained in the products of the paleo diet.
- It enables athletes to build muscles and lose weight effectively. This is achieved due to the content of protein in foods, allowed during the diet, as well as a combination of lean meat with fresh fruits and vegetables.
However, as perhaps any other diet method, paleo is not perfect from every angle and has its own disadvantages:
- One of the biggest difficulties of this technique – is its cost, as fresh, natural and high-quality products are much more expensive than conventional foods and fast food meals.
- People who are accustomed to eat at fast food restaurants find it extremely difficult to give up these bad habits.
- Paleo diet is not rich in carbohydrates enough, and this aspect is crucial for athletes. However, this issue is solvable: you can add more fruits rich in carbohydrates to your diet, namely, cherries, pineapples and bananas.
- For many people transition to a Paleo diet is a complicated thing due the tough rules, according to which it is necessary to finish the meal before the feeling of satiety emerges.
- It is difficult to stick to this diet for vegetarians, because substituting meat with soy or lentils as legumes is unacceptable for a too many reasons.
- This technique is contraindicated for people suffering from kidney, liver and gastrointestinal tract disease in serious or acute forms.
If you the diet is not contraindicated in your case and you are looking to give it a green light, to achieve decent results, you will need to include the following products to your ration:
- low-fat meat chicken, pork, beef, rabbit, etc.
- fish, seafood and eggs
- fruits, including dried fruits
- vegetables, excluding potatoes and maize;
- nuts (pine, brazil, pistachios, cashews, etc).
At the same time an optimal paleo diet should not include the following foods:
- all the sorts of grain products (many of them, by the way, were found to contribute to the development of inflammatory processes in the body)
- milk and other dairy products (as they can cause allergic reactions due to dishonesty of modern manufacturers reflected in hormone treatment in cows for enhancing lactation)
- flour products and products containing large amounts of sugar: candies, pastries and cakes, which are the cause of the occurrence of diabetes and obesity
- fast food, which is largely available in 2 types: bad and very bad, provoking a variety of problems – from gastrointestinal tract issues to high cholesterol-associated diseases.